I wasn’t sure what I wanted to share first in my series, but as I started thinking over all the possibilities I realized that I could share some insights that everyone can relate to… and a topic that has come up frequently in my conversations: our instincts, those physical impulses we have including that “gut feeling”. I believe there are cues that we, as civilized and modern people, have learned to subdue. They’re still there, but our rational thinking tunes them out. I find that as the demands of the modern day increase, people are building up more and more pressure, more and more rules… to survive. People are told that if they can’t handle it, then they must live in the misery of non-stop stress. Yes, there are moments when we thrive off stress, like when we take a risk. That’s when our adrenaline kicks in. However, if adrenaline is constantly being surged through your body, eventually this chemical becomes depleted. Some people can take it longer than others, but we are all human and no one is invincible. Eventually the price of long-term stress is payed.
It’s funny though… people living in modern societies are constantly in an effort to prolong life, lose weight, be super healthy! The information is very interesting, but I think many wisdoms can be learned if we just slow down and reconnect. Reconnect to the rhythms and cycles of life that echo through everything in the world around us. The more pressure we build up, the more complicated our situation becomes to get out of. Personally, I’m a “respond to warning signs/flashing sirens” kind of person because deep inside I don’t want to explode. I’ve heard some say “well, I’m so far gone and I simply can’t step out of the life I’m living.” Try taking a step back into reality and living it. That is… to be present. That’s why I decided to become a holistic health coach: so that I can support people to feel whole again, to reignite their human potential by making changes that benefit them in a profound way. Having battled my personal demons through adopting sound behaviors and thoughts, eventually growing to a point where I got back in touch with my essential self, I believe that every person has the ability to do this.
I often feel like I was given a map when I was born, and I’m–for the most part–following it. My mother would tell me that I was born with a star… whatever it is, I know that I’m making my way towards something–like a monarch butterfly migrating back to where it came from. Sometimes I want to take a shortcut, and there have been times when I didn’t want to go on with the journey. Sometimes I wanted to call it quits and say “game over.” That’s what I find so interesting about the human experience: most of us have some guiding force–something that moves us to keep living. I just hope that people don’t get so overwhelmed with the modern world, that they shut off and become the living dead.
So here are two recipes that helped me feel alive, and were part of my vow to reclaim my well-being.
Alkalizing Vitality Shake
This shake is very earthy, and contains no fruits since I had temporarily decided not to consume fruit in the morning to keep my blood sugar levels more stable.
- 4 tbl hemp protein (optional, but I love its earthiness and nutrients + it’s 1 ingredient and a vegan source of all ten essential amino acids aka a complete protein)
- 1 tbl greens powder, unsweetened
- 1 tsp maca*, optional
- 1 tbl extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp fish oil or flax oil
- 1 tsp raw honey (do not substitute with agave or other sweetener as this for nutritional benefits, not sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2″ fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp chia seeds
1. Take the chia seeds and put them in a small cup or bowl. Then add filtered water, little by little, to hydrate them. Let the seeds soak up the water for a few minutes, then stir gently and keep adding water as the chia seeds retain water. 1/4 cup of the mixture will suffice.
2. Add all the ingredients, except for the chia seeds, into a blender (food processor/immersion blender works as well) and blend on low then switch to high after a few seconds. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour into a big, special cup and stir in the chia seeds.
*I only use maca in the morning for the vitality shake, since I use it to balance my hormones/regain my energy; and dosage should not exceed 3 spoonfuls; read about it before taking it if you don’t eat/know about it already*
Immune-“Boooosting” Tea aka Mom’s Specialtea
This recipe makes around 4-5 servings, so if you’re making this just for one… you can divide the ingredient list by 4 or just make the batch to serve throughout the day.
- 4 tbl freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 lemon *fresh*
- 4 tbl raw honey
- 4-6 cups filtered water
1. Bring the water to a low boil.
2. Stir in all of the ingredients, and let it sit for about 10 mins.
3. Stir again, pour into a cup, and enjoy!
And check out this video for another one of my tea recipes: turmeric ginger detox tea.
I know some of you have shared with me that you plan to take charge of your health again, so what are three things you could start doing to improve your well-being?
Here are my top three:
1. Breathe. Breathe deeply, often, and exhale. It’s simple and everyone can benefit from it. Here’s a how-to video for a 4-7-8 breathing exercise, which can become an invaluable practice.
2. Vitamin D. I’m producing more now that I’m living in the “Sunshine State”, but I also started taking a plant-based supplement by Garden of Life for extra-support.
3. Vitamin L. It’s important to have loving relationships, but I’ve been focusing on boosting my dose on love towards myself. It helps when I have three adorable pups that welcome me home with ecstatic greetings!
This message is for educational purposes only. Not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. It is not intended as medical advice or to replace the advice or attention of health care professionals. You may wish to consult your physician before beginning or making changes in your diet, nutritional supplementation or exercise program. None of these statements have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.